Using geometric shapes as decorative accents in layouts are very popular! But it always seems like a lot of work to fill those shapes with papers.
Here is a tutorial I will show you how to add kit papers clipped to these geometric elements using “SMART OBJECTS” in Photoshop. This will add the kit papers in a quick way and create non-destructive layers, easy to modify if you change your mind about the kind of papers.
Open my free template – download here – and follow these steps:
- At the layer palette, right click on the first shape. Choose convert to Smart Object.
- Double click on the smart object thumbnail. This will open a new window, with the shape. Here you add the paper, by dragging and dropping it above the shape. Clip the paper to the shape. Create clipping mask using ctrl(or command on Mac)+alt+G
- Close and SAVE this window. The shape will be updated with this paper.
- Repeat these 3 steps for all shapes on the template.
- Add some flowers and other embellishments.
Here is my layout, that I did using my kit “Cuddly Bears”.
Smart Objects are very handy tools in Photoshop. They allow you to make unlimited changes without losing quality.