I love the look of stacked papers. Love! Sometimes though I struggle with the overlapping edges. I especially struggled while creating the header for our current LAD (layout-a-day): Winter Whites. I wanted to show off multiple papers, a stacked paper, and still have them POP.
“Popping” is hard when you are working with white & light papers. Here I am working with Schwarzwald Design and Cindy Ritters Winter Whites papers. I tried 4 different methods to stack these two papers:
- Doing nothing to the papers is very blah & does nothing for either paper.
- Using lace (this is TraceyB Creations lace from Winter Whites) is my favorite alternative.
- Adding a shadow helped, but didn’t wow me.
- Blending the two might work, it just didn’t pop.
Luckily for me, part of my job is creating a limited-edition bonus for our Anthology every month. In December I worked with the incredibly gorgeous & scrappable Of Beauty & Grace by Manu Scraps. I combined her collection with the matching Of Beauty & Grace templates by Heartstrings Scrap Art to create one of my favorite layouts to date:
I decided to borrow the torn edge from Bryony’s (Heartstring Scrap Arts) template. This went so well, I want to continue using it LOL! I love the look. It is the perfect look for layering white & light papers. I may now have a torn edge addiction.
With Bryony’s permission, here is a quick & easy way to use her torn edges on your own layout without using the entire template.
- Open your background paper
- Drag in your 2nd paper
- Open of Beauty & Grace Template no. 04
- Click & select all three layers of the torn paper:
- Torn paper – clip paper
- Torn paper edge
- Torn paper Drop Shadow
- Drag & drop all three layers into your layered papers document
If you dragged your layers above both papers:
- Select & click all three layers; and
- Drag them under your top paper
It’s finally time to create your torn paper effect!
- Select your top paper
- Right-click, be sure you are on that top layer
- Choose Create Clipping Mask
TaDA! Your top paper now has a beautiful torn edge. So easy. So fun!
My finished stacked paper:
I’ve taken just Bryony’s torn edge and made a quick & easy template for you to recreate this on your own, with papers of your choice.
You can also buy the entire set Of Grace & Beauty Templates, now on sale for 30% Off!
Thank you so much
I just love that layout that you did also, it is stunning Toiny, thank you for the download.
Thank you for the tutorial.